- Course Code
- Course Type
- Pre-Apprenticeship; Accredited Course
- Study mode
- On Campus
- Part Time
Full time: 5 months
Part time: 10 months
- Starting Date
- February 2020
Are you looking to step into the hospitality industry, offering your help in commercial kitchens? A Certificate II in Kitchen Operations will give you a defined and limited range of skills in food preparation and cookery as you master menu items with ease. You’ll practice the routine and repetitive tasks that are necessary to keep a kitchen running smoothly through service times.
After you finish this qualification, you can pursue further studies to become a commercial cook or step into the workforce to offer your assistance as an expert kitchen hand.
Bairnsdale (part time)
Weeks 1-19 Tuesdays 9.00am-4.00pm
Week 20-32 Tuesdays and Wednesdays 9.00am-4.00pm
Week 33-37 Tuesdays 9.00am-4.00pm
Leongatha (part time)
Weeks 1-19 Monday 9.00-4.00pm
Week 20-32 Monday and Wednesdays 9.00am-4.00pm
Week 33-37 Mondays 9.00am-4.00pm
Morwell (part time)
Weeks 1-19 Thursdays 9.00am-4.00pm
Week 20-32 Tuesdays and Thursdays 9.00am-4.00pm
Week 33-37 Thursdays 9.00am-4.00pm
Morwell (full time)
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursdays combination of day and evening classes
Day classes: 9.00am-4.00pm
Qualifications and RecognitionUpon successful completion of this course students will be eligible to receive the Certificate II in Kitchen Operations.
Possible job titles include:
- breakfast cook
- catering assistant
- fast food cook
- sandwich hand
- takeaway cook
Opportunities for Further Study
- SIT30816 Certificate III Commercial Cookery
- SIT40516 Certificate IV in Commercial Cookery
- SIT40716 Certificate IV in Patisserie (Not on Offer at TAFE Gippsland)
- SIT50416 Diploma of Hospitality (Not on Offer at TAFE Gippsland)
- SIT60316 Advanced Diploma of Hospitality Management (Not on Offer at TAFE Gippsland)
Mandatory entry requirements
- For each Learner enrolling in a vocational qualification, regardless of eligible or ineligible status under the Victorian Training Guarantee, Federation Training will conduct a Pre-Training Review of current competencies (including literacy and numeracy skills) prior to commencement in training.
- The Pre-Training Review will:
identify any competencies previously acquired (Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), Recognition of Current Competency (RCC) or Credit Transfer);
ascertain the most appropriate qualification for that Learner to enrol in, including consideration of the likely job outcomes from the development of new competencies and skills; and
ascertain that the proposed learning strategies and materials are appropriate for that individual.
When the Pre-Training Review identifies that a Learner may not have the Foundation skills required, the Learner will be referred to an Australian Core Skills Framework (ACSF) specialist for an assessment against ACSF core skills of learning, reading, writing, oral communication and numeracy.
When a gap exists between the Learner’s assessed ACSF level and the ACSF levels required within the vocational qualification (whether in any one, or a combination, of ACSF-assessed skills), Federation Training will recommend appropriate strategies for the Learner.
Recommended entry requirements
- The learner should display a genuine interest in Hospitality with a back of house focus.
Limitations to entry
- The learner will be required to be on their feet in a busy commercial kitchen for up to 5 hours a day while completing practicals. Therefore any pre existing injuries or limitations should be considered by the learner when considering enrolling.
Participants will need access to a computer and an Internet connection to be able to complete the course flexibly -- Computer & Internet access will be supplied at the individual campus
Specialist Course Information
Pathway to Industry Licence
Material and Equipment supplied by students
Student ServicesSupport is available for students at every stage of the study journey. Please speak to any of our friendly reception or teaching staff.
Recognition of Prior LearningMany TAFE Gippsland courses offer Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Click to learn more about RPL and how it can benefit you.
|BSBCMM201 Communicate in the workplace|
|BSBWOR203 Work effectively with others|
|SITHCCC001 Use food preparation equipment|
|SITHCCC002 Prepare and present simple dishes|
|SITHCCC005 Prepare dishes using basic methods of cookery|
|SITHCCC006 Prepare appetisers and salads|
|SITHCCC007 Prepare stocks, sauces and soups|
|SITHCCC008 Prepare vegetable, fruit, eggs and farinaceous dishes|
|SITHCCC011 Use cookery skills effectively|
|SITHKOP001 Clean kitchen premises and equipment|
|SITXFSA001 Use hygienic practices for food safety|
|SITXINV002 Maintain the quality of perishable items|
|SITXWHS001 Participate in safe work practices|
Practical Demonstrations ,Worksheets , Activities ,Knowledge tests & Third party reports