This qualification is delivered online with scheduled practical skills days and field trips throughout the year. It is ideal for those who wish to start a career in the food and fibre industry, or further develop their skills and knowledge at the assistant farm hand level. Through this course you will learn basic practical skills in fencing, monitoring water supplies, machinery operation, plant and livestock management. Students undertaking this course will gain the practical skills and knowledge required to carry out routine tasks under general supervision within the agricultural industry, and as this course is delivered via online/blended learning, it is ideal for students that are studying VCE or VCAL noting practical sessions will be scheduled during term breaks to minimise commitments during school time.
AHCLSK211 Provide feed for livestock
TLID0020 Shift materials safely using manual handling methods
AHCPGD207 Plant trees and shrubs
AHCSOL203 Assist with soil or growing media sampling and testing
AHCPCM204 Recognise plants
AHCCHM201 Apply chemicals under supervision
AHCWHS201 Participate in work health and safety processes
AHCWRK204 Work effectively in the industry
AHCWRK209 Participate in environmentally sustainable work practices
AHCWRK201 Observe and report on weather
AHCLSK209 Monitor water supplies
AHCLSK202 Care for health and welfare of livestock
AHCINF202 Install, maintain and repair farm fencing
AHCMOM202 Operate tractors
AHCWRK205 Participate in workplace communications
AHCPCM201 Recognise plants
AHCINF201 Carry out basic electric fencing operations
AHCWRK207 Collect and record production data
AHCPMG201 Treat weeds
AHCPMG202 Treat plant pests, diseases and disorders
Clothing and Equipment
- Solid, closed in shoes
- Clothing suitable for practical work
- Branded uniform shirt will be supplied
- Students must have access to a computer and Internet. Our preference is for students to bring their laptop they currently use for Secondary School to their VET DSS classes
- Certificate III in Agriculture (App/Traineeship)
- Certificate III in Dairy Production
- Certificate IV in Agriculture
Potential Job Outcomes
- Farm hand, Stockperson
- Dairy trades person
- Student must be 16 years of age or older to be operate machinery such as Tractors, according to manufacturer specifications.
- The farm machinery used for skills development in this course have manufacturer's specifications that require operators / students to be a minimum of 16 years of age to operate.
- We recommend that students have previous experience in vehicle operation (Car or Tractor). For example L Plates Driving hours experience and or on farm vehicle operation experience.
- It is strongly recommended that students should have access to a computer or laptop out of class hours to support their independent learning.
- Some units of competency included in this qualification may require the ability to operate machinery such as tractors , agricultural front end loaders some manufacturer's specifications require that require operators / students to be a minimum of 16 years of age to operate.
- Students must have access to a reliable internet connection.
- Students must have access to a computer or tablet that will support course work to be completed in our
- Learning Management System Moodle. We recommend that this also includes a headset (integrated microphone and earphones).
- Students working within the agricultural industry must be physically fit, this includes the ability to bend and lift. Students must be able to spend considerable time on their feet throughout their working day.