These lockdowns, and everything that comes with them, are tough!
We want you to know – that all the emotions you’re feeling lately are okay!
You might be experiencing physical symptoms such as an increased heart rate, an upset stomach or a lack of appetite.
Again, it’s okay and you’re not alone.
Straight up – yes, we’re an education provider and we want you to do well in your studies, but we also have a huge investment in your mental health and wellbeing.
So listen up…
Our Student Support team is here for you! They can provide some helpful advice, or maybe they’ll be just an ear to listen. You can reach them by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also speak to your teacher. They’re human too and are here to listen and support you.
You’ve probably heard these before, but we’ll remind you because it’s important:
- Acknowledge your feelings: It’s ok to feel the way you feel right now. It’s a challenging time.
- Set up a daily routine: Plan activities that are fun and that give you a sense of achievement.
- Stay active: Create an exercise routine that can be completed at home, to maintain physical fitness and reduce stress. You don’t have to sweat, a simple yoga flow can be followed on YouTube.
- Eat well: Eat a variety of nutritious meals. This can be as simple as eating an apple a day. Remember frozen fruit and vegetables are perfectly suitable.
- Stay connected with friends and family via phone, chat, email, or video conferencing.
- Stay informed: Consume your information from trusted sources (The ABC, The Herald Sun etc are good examples of trusted sources). But also remember it’s not helpful to sit on social media all day and consume everything. Limit yourself to getting your information twice a day (say 10am and again at 3pm).
- Work towards staying positive - What you say to yourself is important. For example, this is unpleasant, but it will pass.
We want you to feel supported at TAFE Gippsland. Don’t feel like you’re on your own. Reach out to them for any reason.
Student Support Services
Available Monday to Friday from 8:30am – 4:30pm.
Please note, this is not a crisis service and it’s encouraged you to call triple zero in an emergency situation.
Additional services and resources for you
The below services, plus more can be found on the State Government Coronavirus website by clicking: https://www.coronavirus.vic.gov.au/broader-community-resources-mental-health