Learn English for FREE with the Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP)
TAFE Gippsland offers courses in English as Additional Language (EAL) as part of the Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) which is funded by the Australian Government Department of Home Affairs.
What is AMEP?
The AMEP is a free service to help eligible migrants and humanitarian entrants with low English levels to improve their English language skills and settle into Australia.
Learning English will help you to participate more fully in Australian life. You will learn new skills to help you work and make friends in Australia.
When you are in an AMEP class, free childcare is available for children under school age.
For migrants receiving Centrelink payments, learning English in the AMEP may meet some or all of your mutual obligation requirements.
Am I eligible?
The AMEP is available to eligible migrants and humanitarian entrants who hold a permanent visa or an eligible temporary visa and to Australian citizens who previously held a permanent visa. The principal visa holder and their dependants may be eligible for AMEP.
The AMEP has been improved to increase access for eligible migrants and humanitarian entrants in Australia with no or low levels of English.
You can now:
- Access unlimited hours of English classes until you reach vocational English
- Apply to enrol, even if you’ve enrolled in AMEP before and have been living in Australia for many years
- Keep studying, even if you’ve completed 510 hours (the previous limit), until you reach vocational English.
If you hold a temporary visa, please click here to find out if you are eligible
TAFE Gippsland offers EAL courses in English at its following campuses:
- Warragul: 116 - 118 Queen Street, Warragul Victoria 3820
- Morwell: corner Princes Drive and Monash Way, Morwell Victoria 3840
- Sale: 75 Desailly Street, Sale Victoria 3850
- Bairnsdale: 48 Main Street, Bairnsdale Victoria 3875
What if I can’t go to class?
If you can’t get to your class, speak to us. We may be able to help you to learn English with a home tutor or online with AMEP teacher assisted distance learning.
Want to know more?
Contact us on 1300 133 717 or 03 5120 4541, email: Student Recruitment firstname.lastname@example.org