TAFE Gippsland is proud to offer this WorkSafe approved HSR initial OHS training course, which aims to provide HSRs and other eligible participants with the knowledge, skills, and confidence to help make their workplace safe.
This WorkSafe approved training course will help HSRs to understand and exercise their powers effectively. The training will provide HSRs with the confidence, skills and knowledge to represent their co-workers (i.e. DWG) when raising health and safety concerns in the workplace. Although HSRs / Deputy HSRs are the primary audience, managers, supervisors, health and safety committee members may also benefit from attending this course.
The course will be carried out over five days, within a six month period and upon completion of the course, participants will receive a HSR certificate of attendance.
Learning outcomes for participants include:
- Interpreting the Occupational Health and Safety legislative framework and its relationship to the HSR
- Identifying key parties and their legislative obligations and duties
- Establishing representation in the workplace
- Participating in consultation and issue resolution
- Represent designated work group members in any OHS risk management process undertaken by the appropriate duty holders
- Issuing a Provisional Notice (PIN) and Directing the Cessation of Work
Under section 67 of the Victorian OHS Act 2004 an employer, if requested, must allow an elected HSR and elected Deputy HSR to attend a WorkSafe approved HSR Initial OHS Training Course on paid time, pay the cost of the course and any other associated costs. Section 67 also allows HSRs to choose the approved training course they attend in consultation with their employer.
Qualifications and RecognitionUpon completion of this course students will receive a Certificate of Attendance
This is essential training for all HSRs.
Although this course is designed specifically for HSR, other roles may benefit from attending such as Managers and supervisors.
Opportunities for Further Study
Pathway to Industry Licence
Material and Equipment supplied by students
Student ServicesSupport is available for students at every stage of the study journey. Please speak to any of our friendly reception or teaching staff.
Recognition of Prior LearningMany TAFE Gippsland courses offer Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Click to learn more about RPL and how it can benefit you.
- HSROHS HSR Initial Occupational Health and Safety