Update Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Updated - 03 Sep 2021 3:01pm
Updated COVID-19 advice from the Victorian Government today has implemented another state-wide lockdown from 1.00pm, Saturday 21 August.
TAFE Gippsland campuses are now closed for staff attendance and face-to-face training until otherwise advised.
More information has been provided to students via sms, edm and through our teaching staff in respect of revised class arrangements from Monday 23 August onwards until the end of Term 3.
For further information on our revised training arrangements, please speak with your line managers or drop us an email via the COVID hotline.
Face masks are mandatory indoors and outdoors unless an exception applies:
- If you have any symptoms, no matter how mild, you should get tested for COVID-19.
- QR Codes: Check-in everywhere you visit using the Service Victoria QR code app, no matter how long you spend at that location.
In addition we would like to provide the following information to support you during this time:
Good hygiene is the best defence against COVID-19
Following good hygiene practices is the most effective way of protecting yourself from COVID-19. This includes:
- Washing your hands regularly with soap and water, especially before eating, preparing food, smoking and using the toilet. Follow these five steps every time.
- Wet your hands with clean, running water (warm or cold), turn off the tap, and apply soap.
- Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap. Lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
- Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds.
- Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
- Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them.
- Utilise alcohol-based hand sanitiser when you can’t use soap and water.
- Cover your mouth and nose when coughing and sneezing with a tissue - or cough into your elbow. Dispose of the tissue into a bin and then wash your hands afterwards.
- Wherever possible avoid touching your face as this is the primary route of exposure (eyes, nose and mouth).
Use of surgical masks in the community are only helpful in preventing people who already have COVID-19 from spreading it to others. If you are well, you do not need to wear a surgical mask.
Remain at home if you feel unwell or you have symptoms of COVID-19
If you are unwell and suspect you may have COVID-19 (cold and flu like symptoms, including fever, cough, sore throat, fatigue and breathing difficulties), we request that you remain at home and seek medical advice through the Coronavirus Hotline or your GP.
Advice for TAFE Gippsland students
TAFE Gippsland cannot stress enough the need to follow the current health advice if you or a fellow student is unwell. You MUST stay home if you are unwell and you MUST NOT present in an un-fit state of health at TAFE Gippsland.
If you are located in a designated lockdown local government area, and you need to travel for study to a TAFE Gippsland campus, you will be issued a Travel Exemption letter.
Importantly, you must notify TAFE Gippsland immediately if you are getting tested for COVID-19 and if you do test positive for COVID-19. Call 1300 133 717 and your call will be referred to our Health Safety & Wellbeing team. We will need the following information:
- Course or program name
- Classes attended
- Date/time of notification
- Contact phone number
- Other relevant information
All student details and personal information will be subject to privacy provisions.
TAFE Gippsland will notify all relevant staff and students immediately if we have a confirmed case of COVID-19, in accordance with advice from the Department of Health and Human Service (DHHS).
Student Support Services
Student Support offers free and confidential counselling, financial support and career advice. If you need extra help or are feeling overwhelmed or anxious, please contact us at: email@example.com
For all up-to-date information on COVID-19 in Victoria - https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus
24/7 support is also available through the following external agencies.
- Beyond Blue (24/7 support) 1300 224 636 beyondblue.org.au - Beyond Blue provides information and support to help everyone in Australia achieve their best possible mental health, whatever their age and wherever they live.
- Lifeline (24/7 support) 13 11 14 lifeline.org.au - Lifeline is a national service providing all Australians experiencing a personal crisis with access to 24-hour crisis support and suicide prevention services.
- Kids Help Line (24/7 support) 1800 551 800 kidshelpline.com.au - Kids Helpline is Australia’s only free, private and confidential 24/7 phone and online counselling service for young people aged up to 25.
Campuses are still open to students to access our services. Our libraries at Bairnsdale, Flexible Leaning Centre (Sale), Morwell, Traralgon, Warragul and Leongatha are open to use the computers, printers and loan and return books. We have concierge staff in place to assist you and we kindly ask that social distancing rules and good hygiene be adhered to in order to ensure the health and wellbeing of our students and staff. The study areas and computer banks have been adapted to accommodate these practices with regular cleaning regimes now in place.
Covid Safe Plans
- Bairnsdale Main campus
- Bairnsdale Trade Centre
- Baw Baw Skills Centre
- Forestec campus
- Lakes Entrance Seamec campus
- Leongatha campus
- Sale FLC campus
- Sale Fulham campus
- Sale Gtec campus
- Traralgon campus
- Warragul campus
- Yallourn campus
Key contact information, links and resources
Please visit https://www.dhhs.vic.gov.au/coronavirus or contact the Coronavirus Health Information line on 1800 020 080 for the latest information about COVID19 in Victoria,
For any TAFE Gippsland-related COVID-19 questions, please contact us at: COVIDfirstname.lastname@example.org or 1300 133 717.
Please keep Triple Zero (000) for emergencies only
Additional handy links
- TAFE Gippsland Covidsafe plan
- Victorian DHHS health updates
- Department of Education and Training updates
- National Health updates
- Australian Government Department of Education updates
- WHO resources.
- Face masks - What you can and cannot wear (PDF)
- Wash your hands regularly poster (PDF)
- Cover your cough and sneeze poster (PDF)
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) factsheet for schools and early learning centres (Word)
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) factsheet for school students and children (Word)
- Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) factsheet for school students and children - Simplified Chinese
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) factsheet for universities, TAFEs and training providers (Word)
- Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) factsheet for university, TAFE and training students and staff members (Word)
- COVID-19: How does it spread?
- Recommendations for using a Cloth Face mask with Brett Sutton, Victorian Chief Health Officer
- TERTIARY EDUCATION SETTINGS CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) –FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- COVID-19 border entry - Apply for permission to enter Victoria
Our primary focus in all decision making is the health and well-being of our staff and students. We encourage everyone to take care of their personal health. If you need further advice and support, please contact the numbers and help lines we have set out above.
If you are seeking general advice regarding Coronavirus (COVID-19), please contact the National Coronavirus Health Information Line on 1800 020 080.
If you are feeling unwell and experiencing symptoms of the virus, please call the dedicated Victorian COVID-19 hotline on 1800 675 398 and follow their advice.
If you are a TAFE Gippsland student and have been confirmed as having COVID-19, please call 1300 133 717 immediately and we will take the necessary actions from there.
For all TAFE Gippsland-related COVID-19 questions/enquiries, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.