Warragul (Blended): 14/2/2023
Morwell (on campus): 15/2/2023
Individual Support Disability workers provide person centred care and support people with a disability in a community and/or residential setting. These people follow an individualised plan to provide person-centred support. It’s an incredibly satisfying career that helps people stay independent and enjoy a better quality of life, in a place that’s safe and familiar.
Work involves using discretion and judgement in relation to individual support as well as taking responsibility for own outputs. Workers have a range of factual, technical and procedural knowledge, as well as some theoretical knowledge of the concepts and practices required to provide person-centred support.
Delivery of this qualification is delivered in class with online resources. Students must have suitable technological literacy and resources.
|Did you know: The Victorian Government has now made Free TAFE courses even more accessible for new students enrolling for study in 2023. All Free TAFE courses at TAFE Gippsland are now available to people with higher-level qualifications and those who have completed a previous Free TAFE course and are looking to continue in their selected training pathway. Conditions and eligibility rules apply. Check out our Free TAFE information page for further details.|
|Bairnsdale (Blended): 14/2/2023|| |
Wednesday 9:00am - 3:00pm, Thursday 6:30pm - 8:30pm
1 day in class and compulsory attendance of an evening.
|Warragul (Blended): 14/2/2023|| |
Tuesday 9:00am - 3:00pm, Thursday 6:30pm - 8:30pm
1 day in class and compulsory attendance of an evening.
|Morwell (on campus): 15/2/2023||Wednesday 9:00am - 3:00pm, Thursday 9:00am - 3:00pm|
|Online: 15/2/2023|| |
Wednesday 6:30pm - 9:30pm, Friday 9:30am - 11:30am
Online learning with additional support sessions offered face to face and online (blended).
Qualifications and RecognitionUpon successful completion of this course students will be eligible to receive the Certificate III in Individual Support (Disability).
Job roles or employment may include but is not limited to work in aged care facilities, home & community care environments and hospice facilities.
Opportunities for Further Study
Mandatory entry requirements
Applicants under the age of 18 are encouraged to apply for upcoming intakes, however you must be 18 years of age at course commencement or have turned 18 years of age by 30 April, 2023.
- Provide Police Check in each year of placement (without disclosures)
- Provide Working with Children’s Check (without disclosures)
- Flu vaccination in current year of placement
- COVID vaccination - triple dose (From 17 September 2021, COVID-19 vaccination will be mandatory for all residential aged care workers. Exemptions will not apply)
- NDIS worker screening check (required for the Disability stream of this course)
- Must be able to attend class 2-3 days per week as per the timetable
- Complete 120 hours placement as arranged by TAFE Gippsland unless under a traineeship model
- Prospective student to complete online application form
- Minimum ACSF level 3 in all levels
Recommended entry requirements
- Moderate computer skills
- Licence to travel to placement
- The ability to stand with only short breaks for the duration of 8 hour period.
- The ability to walk for extended periods as required for a clinical placement shift,
- Maintain concentration levels in order to complete practical tasks and care at the high level required including for multiple residents per shift.
- Complete multiple physical and mental tasks over the period of a shift with the stamina to provide safe care.
- The ability to lift safety at least 20kg of weight.
- Stable physical mobility in order to transfer and aid a client with walking.
- The ability to assist clients /consumers to move from lying to sitting or to standing all while completing some weight bearing activities.
Limitations to entry
- Must be physically fit as the job role requires manual handling using industry equipment and 8 hour shifts on placement where the role involves physical work and long periods of standing. Refer to inherent requirements for this course
Specialist Course Information
PlacementThe student is required to complete 120 hours of placement.
Placement is arranged by: Institute
To attend placement or be in the workplace, students may be required to have three COVID-19 vaccinations as determined by public health orders. Further information can be found here.
Pathway to Industry Licence
Material and Equipment supplied by students
Student ServicesSupport is available for students at every stage of the study journey. Please speak to any of our friendly reception or teaching staff.
Recognition of Prior LearningMany TAFE Gippsland courses offer Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Click to learn more about RPL and how it can benefit you.
Sample course units
|CHCCCS011 Meet personal support needs|
|CHCCCS015 Provide individualised support|
|CHCCCS023 Support independence and wellbeing|
|CHCCOM005 Communicate and work in health or community services|
|CHCDIS001 Contribute to ongoing skills development using a strengths-based approach|
|CHCDIS002 Follow established person-centred behaviour supports|
|CHCDIS003 Support community participation and social inclusion|
|CHCDIS007 Facilitate the empowerment of people with disability|
|CHCDIV001 Work with diverse people|
|CHCLEG001 Work legally and ethically|
|CHCMHS001 Work with people with mental health issues|
|HLTAAP001 Recognise healthy body systems|
|HLTINF001 Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures|
|HLTINF006 Apply basic principles and practices of infection prevention and control|
|HLTWHS002 Follow safe work practices for direct client care|