This entry-level course will help you progress your career in agriculture. You’ll learn new skills and tackle high-level responsibilities like the handling and transporting of animals, creating and implementing health and feeding programs, maintaining lands and structures on farms, and much more.
If you would like to work as a senior farmhand in the agricultural industry or progress through further study pathways, a Certificate III in Agriculture will get you there sooner. Learn from industry professionals and learn in-depth knowledge in the sector you’re passionate about.
This qualification is suitable for a Australian Apprenticeship.
This course is delivered with a combination of online and on campus workshops.
TimesTuesdays 9.am-3.00pm and Fridays 10.00am-3.00pm
Qualifications and RecognitionUpon successful completion of this course students will be eligible to receive the Certificate III in Agriculture.
- Farm or station hand
- Farm or station worker
- Livestock transport driver
Opportunities for Further Study
- AHC40116 Certificate IV in Agriculture
- AHC50116 Diploma of Agriculture
Recommended entry requirements
- This qualification may be accessed by direct entry, part time or full time
- Applicants will be required to complete a full Language Literacy and Numeracy Assessment as a part of the pre entry requirements of the course. The LLN results must be a minimum of 2 across all three areas
- Applicants must prove that they have a suitable Agricultural / Horticultural business that they can undertake their practical placement on. Or alternately supply a letter from a suitable Agricultural / Horticultural employer stating that they are have access to employed work for a minimum of 1 day per week for the duration of the course.
- Applicants must have a capable level of Computer literacy.
- Applicants must have access to a PC / Laptop or Tablet as well as internet to support their learning and assessment out of school (scheduled teaching hours).
- It is strongly recommended that applicants hold a minimum “Car Learner Permit” prior to course commencement.
- Applicants must supply their own Safety Boots, Gumboots, Hat and / or Beanie, High vis work shirt, Safety Glasses, Ear Muffs, Leather Gloves and Wet weather gear for practical days and placements
Limitations to entry
- Ability to gain voluntary or employed farm work within the industry for a minimum of one day a week for the duration of the qualification
A reliable internet connection
Specialist Course Information
Pathway to Industry Licence
Material and Equipment supplied by students
Student ServicesSupport is available for students at every stage of the study journey. Please speak to any of our friendly reception or teaching staff.
Recognition of Prior LearningMany TAFE Gippsland courses offer Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Click to learn more about RPL and how it can benefit you.
|AHCLSK308 Identify And Draft Livestock|
|AHCLSK301 Administer Medication To Livestock|
|AHCDRY201 Milk livestock|
|AHCWRK309 Apply environmentally sustainable work practices|
|AHCCHM303 Prepare And Apply Chemicals|
|AHCCHM304 Transport and store chemicals|
|AHCWHS301 Contribute to work health and safety processes|
|AHCINF303 Plan and construct conventional fencing|
|AHCMOM202 Operate tractors|
|AHCMOM211 Operate side by side utility vehicles|
|AHCMOM212 Operate quad bikes|
|AHCINF302 Plan and construct an electric fence|
|AHCDRY301 Coordinate milking operations|
|AHCLSK309 Implement animal health control programs|
|AHCLSK311 Implement feeding plans for livestock|
|AHCMOM207 Conduct front-end loader operations|
|AHCAGB301 Keep production records for a primary production business|
|AHCBAC302 Establish pastures and crops for livestock production|
|AHCLSK305 Maintain livestock water supplies|
|AHCLSK318 Rear newborn and young livestock|
|AHCLSK329 Implement procedures for calving|
|AHCPCM301 Implement a plant nutrition program|
|AHCWRK303 Respond to emergencies|
|AHCBAC301 Conserve forage|
Practical demonstrations, practical demonstrations in simulated work conditions, problem solving,
documents/folio,case studies, projects, group projects,