This qualification is suitable for individuals who wish to deepen and broaden their skills and knowledge in security operations and lead security teams in the field. It provides a pathway to further learning and work in various security roles and settings, including security risk management.
Security officers at this level provide leadership in a team environment, operate under limited supervision, and use discretion and judgement in known and unpredictable work contexts. They take responsibility for their own outputs in work and learning, and limited responsibility for the output of others in the work team.
Qualifications and RecognitionUpon successful completion of this course students will be eligible to receive the Certificate III in Security Operations.
- Mobile patrols/alarm responses guard.
- Security at Educational institutions.
- Security at Major shopping centre/complexes
- Security or guard at Critical infrastructure such power, gas and mining.
- Security at Hospitals.
- Security at Major events.
- Security or Guard at Industrial complexes
- Security at Airports
- Security at Seaports.
- Security at logistics hubs.
- Security or guard at a Variety of retail complexes.
Opportunities for Further Study
- Certificate IV in Security Management - CPP40719 (Not on offer at TAFE Gippsland)
- Certificate IV in Security Risk Analysis - CPP41519 (Not on offer at TAFE Gippsland)
- Diploma of Security Risk Management - CPP50619 (Not on offer at TAFE Gippsland)
Mandatory entry requirements
A completed certificate II in Security Operations with evidence of a current Security Officers licensing in the relevant jurisdiction.
Recommended entry requirements
Learner should be medically fit and possess the physical and mental ability to participate in self defence training.
Specialist Course Information
Pathway to Industry Licence
Applicants must be 18 years or older, this is a requirement of licensing as stated by Victoria Police.
"To ensure the safety of all Victorians, there are minimum standards that all licence applicants are required to meet before they are eligible to perform work within the private security. These requirements are outlined in the relevant form.
To be eligible for a private security licence in the State of Victoria, you must:
- be 18 years or over
- be a resident of Australia or be the holder of a current visa (with relevant work rights)
- be subject to a National Police Check which requires the taking of your fingerprints
- provide certified copies of International Police Checks from any other country resided in for a period of more than 12 months over the previous 10 years since turning 16 years of age
- not be a prohibited person
- be a fit and proper person – this includes not having any medical condition or history with police that would hinder your employment within the industry
- demonstrate competency for working in the security industry by completing training relevant to the private security activity or activities you wish to be licensed for with a training organisation approved by the Licensing and Regulation Division
- provide two written references outlining your suitability for employment within the private security industry.
Occupational licensing, legislative, regulatory or certification requirements may apply at the time of publication.
This qualification does not provide the required competencies for a security officer variation to license.
Learners who hold a security license may select units as part of this qualification or as fee for service units, required for additional license endorsements in;
- Armed Guard
- Combined Armed Guard and cash in transit
Material and Equipment supplied by students
Student ServicesSupport is available for students at every stage of the study journey. Please speak to any of our friendly reception or teaching staff.
Recognition of Prior LearningMany TAFE Gippsland courses offer Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Click to learn more about RPL and how it can benefit you.
|CPPSEC3116 Carry, operate and maintain semi-automatic pistols for security purposes|
|CPPSEC3115 Carry, operate and maintain revolvers for security purposes|
|CPPSEC3114 Control security risk situations using firearms|
|CPPSEC3118 Inspect and test cash-in-transit security equipment and rectify faults|
|CPPSEC3101 Manage conflict and security risks using negotiation|
|CPPSEC3125 Implement security procedures to protect critical infrastructure and public assets|
|CPPSEC3120 Load and unload cash-in-transit in secured and unsecured environments|
|CPPSEC3119 Implement cash-in-transit security procedures|
|CPPSEC3106 Gather, organise and present security information and documentation|
|CPPSEC3105 Coordinate provision of quality security services to clients|
|CPPSEC3104 Coordinate monitoring and control of individual and crowd behaviour|
|CPPSEC3103 Determine and implement response to security risk situation|
|CPPSEC3102 Maintain operational safety and security of work environment|
|CPPSEC3111 Restrain persons using handcuffs|
|CPPSEC3110 Control persons using batons|
|BSBFLM312 Contribute To Team Effectiveness|
|HLTWHS003 Maintain work health and safety|
Observation, Questioning and Tests/Quizzes