TAFE Gippsland offers training and assessment for persons wishing to gain a Recreational Marine Licence. The course also includes training and assessment for the PWC (jetski) endorsement* at no extra cost.
Our course is fully approved by Maritime Safety Victoria. Training is delivered by qualified and experienced trainers so you can be assured the training is relevant and up-to-date The course duration is 4.5 hours, including assessment.
On successful completion of the multiple choice exam, a certificate will be issued. This certificate is then to be taken to a VicRoads office in order for you to gain your Marine Licence. The certificate is valid for 12 months and a Marine Licence should be applied for within this timeframe. A fee is payable to VicRoads when obtaining your Marine Licence.
*From 18 December 2017, persons aged under 16 years of age are not eligible to obtain a personal watercraft (PWC) endorsement*.
Gain confidence in your ability to understand waterway rules, regulations and legislation. The course comprises classroom theory delivered by an experienced and competent professional mariner.
2022 course dates coming soon
Due to the current uncertainty we are taking expression of interests for the specified dates and will be in contact with you prior the anticipated commencement. Please fill out the enquiry form to register your interest.
Qualifications and RecognitionUpon completion of this course, students will be issued with a Statement of Attainment.
Recreational Marine (boat) Licence
Opportunities for Further Study
The minimum age limit for participants is 12 years.
From 18 December 2017, persons aged under 16 years of age are not eligible to obtain a personal watercraft (PWC) endorsement.
Updated Eligibility Statement given out by Accredited Training Providers
Pursuant to regulation 30 of the Marine Safety Regulations 2012 (Vic) the following persons are not eligible to apply for a marine licence:
- A person who is disqualified from obtaining a marine licence, during the period of that disqualification
- A person who is the holder of a marine licence that has been suspended, during the period of that suspension
- A person who is disqualified from obtaining a licence or other authority to be the master of or to operate a recreational vessel under
- (i) the law of another State or Territory, or
- (ii) the law of another country,
in circumstances which, if they occurred in Victoria, would have resulted in the person being disqualified from obtaining a marine licence in Victoria
- A person who is the holder of a licence or other authority to operate a recreational vessel issued by another State or Territory that has been suspended, during the period of that suspension
- Persons aged under 16 years of age are not eligible to obtain a personal watercraft endorsement
Applicants should also note that they will be required to meet the health requirements for operating a car, motorcycle or boat and this may include further testing where appropriate.
Pathway to Industry Licence
Material and Equipment supplied by students
Identification (Drivers Licence OR Passport OR Birth Certificate/Medicare card)
Student ServicesSupport is available for students at every stage of the study journey. Please speak to any of our friendly reception or teaching staff.
Recognition of Prior LearningMany TAFE Gippsland courses offer Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL). Click to learn more about RPL and how it can benefit you.